I have spent practically my entire life immersed in music. I grew up amongst an eclectic mixture of musicians whose performances (both vocal and instrumental) have been well-received in concert halls, sports arenas, and churches all over the world. My grandfather, Terry W. Everson, was one of the most instrumental voices in my choice of percussion. A long-time professional himself, his passion and excitement for music is still contagious.
I began "officially" taking lessons in elementary school from local drummer, Jeff Smith. Not long after, I got my first drum set from the Drum Center of Lexington. I studied with Brian Osborne for a couple of years, and eventually began taking lessons from Brian Flack (TCIE) – with whom I continued through high school.
As I plunged head-first into marching band, percussion became something more than just a hobby. In addition to private lessons, I had the benefit of studying with my high school percussion director, John Willmarth. Thanks to John Willmarth and Joseph Deweese, I discovered early on that I had an aptitude for timpani... it was this talent that eventually led me to play timpani with Tates Creek Indoor Ensemble for a number of years (2007-2012 -- with a stint on snare in 2010 to shake things up).
I rounded out my competitive career as the timpanist for the Spirit of Atlanta Drum & Bugle Corps (2011) where I had the privilege of working with Chris Hestin, Erik Kosman, Steven Rogers, Alan Fear, and Michael Dooley.
As an educator, I have served as the Director of Percussion at Lexington Christian Academy since 2008. I was commissioned by the band director to establish a percussion ensemble with the intent of competing as an indoor drumline. Now a diverse and multifaceted group, the award-winning LCA Percussion Ensemble performs frequently and has competed successfully throughout the tri-state area. The ensemble was featured at the World Strides Heritage Festival in Chicago in 2014 and performed alongside the concert band at Walt Disney World in 2015. In addition to LCA, I have also instructed the Tates Creek High School front ensemble since 2013 – working alongside Brian Flack.
I began seriously writing/arranging music in high school. John Willmarth hired me to create recordings for a number of his percussion ensemble music, several of which have been published. Since then I have written/arranged for a number of ensembles, including LCA, Bryan Station High School, Bryan Station Indoor Percussion, Tates Creek High School, Metcalfe County High School, and Jewel City Drum & Bugle Corps.
I currently reside in Lexington, KY, where I maintain a busy schedule of performing, teaching, and writing. My latest project is an immersive study into the music and dance of Ireland. I frequently play bodhrán with Dan Cummins and Beverly Buchanan (of Liam's Fancy), and world-renowned flautist/ piper, John Skelton. In addition, I have been studying dance with the Kentucky McTeggart Irish Dancers since 2014, learning from TCRGs Allison Duvall and Brooke Harris.
I received a B.A. in Telecommunications from the University of Kentucky in 2011 - with an emphasis on audio and video production - and remain a constant student of music.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION:
- Spirit of Atlanta Drum & Bugle Corps 2011 Soloist (P)
- Spirit of Atlanta Drum & Bugle Corps 2011 DCI World Class Finalist (P)
- Tates Creek Indoor Ensemble 2012 WGI PIW Finalist (P)
- Tates Creek Indoor Ensemble 2009 PIO WGI Bronze Medalist (P)
- Tates Creek Indoor Ensemble 2008 - 2011 PIO WGI Finalist (P)
- Tates Creek Indoor Ensemble 2012 Front Ensemble Section Leader (P)
- Tates Creek Indoor Ensemble 2009 Front Ensemble Section Leader (P)
- University of Kentucky Wildcat Marching Band 2010 Honor Bandsman (P)
- Kentucky McTeggart Irish Dancers 2015 Mid-America Oireachtas Gold Medalist (P)
- Kentucky McTeggart Irish Dancers 2014 Mid-America Oireachtas Silver Medalist (P)
- Lexington Christian Academy Percussion Ensemble 2015 Walt Disney World Featured Performance Ensemble (E) (M) (P)
- Lexington Christian Academy Percussion Ensemble 2014 World Strides Heritage Festival: Gold Rating (E) (M)
- Lexington Christian Academy Percussion Ensemble 2012 PSCA TriState Champions (E) (M)
- Lexington Christian Academy Percussion Ensemble 2010 PSCA TriState Silver Medalist(E)
- Bryan Station Indoor Percussion 2014 TriState PIO Champions (E) (M)
- Bryan Station Indoor Percussion 2013 TriState PIO Champions (E) (M)
- University of Kentucky, B.A. Telecommunications, Summa Cum Laude
- Spirit of Atlanta Drum & Bugle Corps (P)
- Tates Creek Indoor Ensemble (P)
- University of Kentucky Wildcat Marching Band (P)
- Lexington Christian Academy Percussion Ensemble (E) (M)
- Tates Creek High School Marching Band (E) (M)
- Jewel City Drum & Bugle Corps (E) (M)
- Bryan Station High School (E) (M)
- Bryan Station Indoor Percussion (E) (M)
- Metcalfe County High School (E) (M)
- Kentucky McTeggart Irish Dancers (P)
- Liam's Fancy (P)
- Lifegate Church (P)
- Analog Apostles (P) (M)
- Lafayette High School (P) (M)